Experienced online learning educators have shared recommendations and priorities for lesson planning in the resources below.
- Focus on learning goals, not daily work.
- Keep instructional videos short, no longer than 15 min.
- Break assignments into chunks.
- No hard deadlines
- Get kids up and moving, incorporating non-screen living spaces when possible.
- Give students choice. Learning menus & choice boards work great for this.
- Checks for Understanding - To assess learning, consider having students create a video, draw a picture, write a story or response, and/or create something to show their learning instead of assessing with multiple choice/short answer. This helps to deter cheating and shows learning.
Six Key Components of Effective Online Instruction (Purpose, Engagement, Pedagogy, Feedback are all still important.)
Worksheet Continuum - How to ensure work isn’t “busy” work.