Starting Fall 2020, GBCS will be a 1:1 district K-12; information on device distribution for K-2 students and new enrollees will be released soon. Please continue to check back for updates.
Chromebook Info for Summer 2020
Current 3rd-11th Grade Students
All current students in grades 3-11 will be keeping their Chromebooks during the summer. It is the responsibility of the student to bring the Chromebook back in the fall for the 2020-2021 school year.
Current Kindergarten-2nd Grade Students
All current Kindergarten, First and Second grade students that received a loaner Chromebook during the shutdown can hold onto the device for the summer and continue using it. Closer to the start of the 2020-2021 school year more information will be provided regarding the process for turning in the Chromebooks.
For more information, including information on repairs, students leaving the district, and who to contact, please visit https://www.gbcs.org/cbsummer.
1:1 Chromebook Program
Grand Blanc Community Schools will provide each student in grades K-12* a Chromebook for school and home use. Students will hold on to the device year-round and will only turn the device in if they are exiting from GBCS or the entire grade is receiving new devices.
Chromebook Program Key Points
- Students will be assigned a Chromebook device at the beginning of the school year
- The device will come in a protective case
- Devices will be kept for 3-4 years or until the student graduates. It is the intention to have students retain their original Chromebook each year while enrolled in Grand Blanc Community Schools**
- Families will be able to purchase optional insurance each year to help defray the cost in the event of accidental breakage
- Teachers have been trained by our technology consultants (Communications by Design out of Ada, MI) in how to use the device effectively within the curriculum as one of the many tools they teach with. Please understand that our teachers and students will learn and grow in the use of the Chromebooks in the classroom/virtual classroom as the year progresses
*Prior to the 20-21 school year, all 3rd-12th grade students were provided with Chromebooks. 20-21 is the inaugural year of GBCS' 1:1 program extending to grades K-2
**Students do not have a separate right to a device. It is the District’s intention to issue the same device barring abuse, breakage, theft, etc.
1:1 Device Handbook (20-21 school year- coming soon)
1:1 Device Handbook (19-20 school year)
Internet Options for Low Income Families
Free WiFi Hotspots in the Grand Blanc Community*